Tofu Wrestling and Zombie Vandals (turns out that moshing gets much more difficult when the floor is coated in vegetable oil).
Kind of like the East Coast's answer to Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros.
• The Phenomenal Handclap Band - Baby
A band's place at last.
Posted by Tod Seelie at 3:11 PM
It's winter around here:
- The annual Idiotarod braves temperatures in the teens for shopping cart glory.
- Wandering in some snow covered terrain.
- More sweaty Brooklyn loft shows.
- Potluck dinners on the Brooklyn ferry boat.
- Going up into the Blue Ridge Mountains to visit friends hermiting in a log cabin. End up in the thick of the "Blizzard of 2010," then lose the car keys while adventuring in the snow and almost have to hotwire the safari jeep to get home.
- Now I am headed to San Francisco/Oakland for the first time. What's good out there?
The votes are in and it was a solid victory for Tune Yards "Haritari" as the best song. This was another submission I really liked as well.
• The Tallest Man On Earth - Honey Won't You Let Me In
A band's place at last.
Posted by Tod Seelie at 5:27 PM
Photos of recent shows in Brooklyn: White Mice, Liturgy, The Death Set, Team Robespierre, Mannequin Men, and Greg Oblivion and the Tennessee Tearjerkers.
Great show coming up this week in Brooklyn: BAM's Sounds Like Brooklyn Festival at Station 171.
- Thursday featuring Japanther, The Death Set, Cerebral Ballzy, Boogie Boarder and Leaders.
- Friday dance party with Roofeo (of The Death Set), Mr. Andersonic, Murdertronics, DJ Morsy and James Stacher.
My friend over at Article is trying to raise funds on Kickstarter for two great projects:
- Cerebral Ballzy's first 7".
- Chris Weingarten's music review "book," 1000 Times Yes.
Chris explains the state of journalism in the internet age and why music critics matter:
You might remember that I was running a contest this week for my new favorite song. Well we have a tie. There was stiff competition (although a couple submissions were disqualified because they were songs I had previously posted on here), and now we've got it down to two. So I'm leaving it up to you to vote for the winner, email your vote to sucka [at] suckapants [dot] com (one vote per person). Winner gets the LRG & STS9 prize package.
• Crooked Fingers - Sinisteria
• Tune Yards - Hatari
One band's place at last.
Another band's place at last.
Posted by Tod Seelie at 10:29 PM