Brooklyn and Philly and back again:
- Swimming Cities fundraiser on the Waterpod with Apocalypse Five & Dime.
- Riding from Governor's Island to Shea Stadium in Queens.
- The Nuclear Squirrel Tour.
- Sissy Bounce parties with Big Freedia.
- Getting hit by a car and having to carry my wrecked bike over the Williamsburg Bridge (better than just giving up and going home).
- Seeing an old friend and hearing his story of being attacked by a deranged student who bit off his finger nail.
- Gadgetoff 2009.
- Going to Philly and staying at Basekamp.
- Dark Dark Dark house show in West Philly.
- A BBQ on an abandoned ferry.
- The Maze at Death By Audio.
- Meschiya Lake & Baby Soda brass band.
- On the heels of Carlos' passing, losing another great inspirational friend. R.I.P. Beau Velasco. You will be missed.
A Sucka Pants exclusive.
• Dark Dark Dark - That Light (Paper Colt Remix)
A band's place at last.
(photos from the weeks that were upon returning)
- Hearing the phrase: "I'm a man's man" uttered in all seriousness.
- Watching an overweight mother eating the fries off her child's plate while the kid was distracted.
- Sitting across from a woman at the airport and watching as she simultaneously made a ring of food and trash around her, grabbed and jerked her kid around, and talked on her cell phone.
- Sign on a payphone: "Studio apartment available. Single pretty woman only."
- Being glad to be in a country with cheap fresh vegetables.
- Skinny dipping at Far Rockaway with the B.Q.B.C. (Brooklyn Queens Beach Club).
- There is now a turtle who lives in my kitchen. He's always staring at me.
- Monster Island Labor Day block party.
- These Are Powers playing in an alley under a railroad trestle.
- Riding fast late at night on the west side bike path, watching the lights of Jersey go by.
- Backyard BBQ with Brooklyn-style pool.
- My cat being "shell-shocked" from a flea infestation over the summer. She lives in the kitchen sink and tries to never touch the floor.
- Overheard from a cop to a man sitting on a milk crate: "So, you a married man?"
- NYC seems to still think vacant construction sites are better than old buildings.
- Getting an installation job on graveyard shifts, 6pm - 8am a few days in a row will mess you up.
- Seeing classrooms with "Be the change you want to see" posters while they run the A/C all night with the windows open.
- Missing Friday night because I didn't realize what day it was until after midnight.
- Culture-shock of going to the supermarket: full of large oxen-like people lumbering slowly around oblivious to anyone else, even their kids in tow who should obviously be in school right now.
- Getting caught riding in the rain still sucks.
- Going to some amazing performances on Governor's Island. Seeing Amaro from Eindhoven, and Marshall & Nona of Dark Dark Dark cooking and serving food for him in Dutch kitchen uniforms (wooden clogs).
- Shooting a Fashion Week party where Sarah from Parts & Labor/Noveller appeared to perform with her new band Cold Cave.
- More graveyard shifts.
- Going to see some friends give presentations at the Conflux Festival.
- Dark Dark Dark play a show, and it is so good.
- Checking out the Liger Beat "Cover Man Contest" party. Whoa.
• Nurses - Technicolor
A band's place at last.