LIKE A TOURIST IN YOUR TOWN
(a quick stop in Paris)
Two days in Paris:
- Wandering around a park on a canal in the northeast part of Paris. A group of men, all looking Middle Eastern or African, were sitting quietly in a small sectioned off part of the park. Their seemed to be one man with long hair and a beard who was standing facing the rest of them. It looked almost like a meditation session, if you can meditate while looking around and listening to your ipod. They kept calling me over every time I would get near, but my lack of French kept me from venturing over. I wondered about if for the next few days.
- Staying with a friend in a suburb just outside of Paris. The building was old with a nice dusty mirrored lobby. The bathroom was decorated in red carpeted walls and mirrors. There was little daylight, less fresh air, and hardly any hot water.
- People eat well in Western Europe. The food is good, natural, fresh, and decently cheap. It seems like the way it should be.
- Having the best hot chocolate I can recall, ever.
- Realizing how much more of an appreciation the French have for architecture and public space.
- Paris is not much for late-night-life, most things close early (bars at midnight on a Friday?).
- Looking whistfully at all the free city bikes that are EVERYWHERE (Velib!).
- Riding clean, spacious, well-lit subways that run every 2 minutes.
- Doing some tourist sight-seeing, and a lot of walking.
- Being responsible for some of my friends from the Rockaway crew almost crashing a fancy live classical music soiree in a swanky part of Paris. And they would have too, if they hadn't been stopped dead at the entrance by a very unamused host.
Twenty-four hours in Amsterdam:
- There are so many bikes all over the place in Amsterdam that they almost feel similar to the trash that blows around and collects against fences and trees in Brooklyn.
- Trying to go visit the squat ADM, but failing to connect with my friends that were staying there.
- Amsterdam has a pretty space-age library, with handfuls of free public computers on every floor.
- Staying in a hostel that smells like a stadium toilet.
- The weird Xmas music is playing on the plane makes me homesick/depressed/divorced from reality.
• Jeff Alexander & Bonnie Beecher - Come Wander With Me