GAVE UP TO BE BETTER OFF
(photos from the opening of the Miss Rockaway Armada's installation at Stroomhuis in Eindhoven, as part of the show "Heartland" at the Van Abbemuseum, full gallery here)
- Riding down the Dommel river in Eindhoven as dusk turned to night on one of the three boats made by some of the crew for the installation.
- Tattoo artist Brian Kelly set up shop in the printmaking studio at Stroomhuis during the opening. A handful of the crew got some new ink, myself included. One of our group didn't have any money or anything to trade, so he offered up part of his leg to let Bryan practice with a new super-wide fill needle.
- We've had a really great experience here in Eindhoven, but were a bit put off by how rude some of (very drunk) guests were at the opening. From tagging on some of the paintings, to badgering one of our performers off the stage, and even one guy who was having some inappropriate-touching problems with our female crew members. We were kind of hoping Mr. Touchy-Feely would come back the second night so we could tackle and hogtie him.
- Some of the installation getting wrecked by drunken craziness on the opening night, including the giant sign from the Van Abbemuseum we had outside.
- Mike and John getting wasted and busting out some crazy freestyling for a good half an hour (see video below).
- Waking up one morning and finding a giant wok full of full lobsters. They were from the night before and were all cold and fishy, but whatever. Lobster is lobster.
- Part of the installation was a small diamond cave inside a treasure chest with a huge caveman SpongeBob Squarepants. It also was a very cozy bedroom and effective hot-box.
- It's interesting to have helped build an installation with such varied parts as: a bar, a stage, a shadow puppet screen, two crows nests, a paper chandelier, a chapel, a cave, a dragons tail, and even a merch table.
- Wrapping up the opening weekend with a movie + pizza night in the installation. We piled a bunch of cot mattresses on the floor with blankets and watched movies projected on the shadow puppet screen.It was cold in there, but everyone was all on top of each other so it was fine. Spons brought us curly fries too. And shoarma pizza kinda sucks, by the way.
Miss Rockaway Armada floats their boats in front of the Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven.
Jonathan Kaiser from Dark Dark Dark perfoming at Stroomhuis in Eindhoven.
Dark Dark Dark performing at the Miss Rockaway Armada opening at Stroomhuis in Eindhoven.
Dark Dark Dark performing with Rebecca at the Miss Rockaway Armada opening at Stroomhuis in Eindhoven.
John and Mike's drunken freestyling at Stroomhuis in Eindhoven.
• 50 Million + Hickey - A New England
A band's place in myspace.